Alrighty then! First post of the month. Today I have been letting my thoughts wonder. The only thing that really has made it on my radar is something that most people take for granted. Eye contact. It seems that in this day and age, that not enough people pay much attention to this very important social tool. Most folks don't even realize that if you look carefully you can see what someone is thinking by looking to the eyes. Of course the muscles around the eyes help as well, but it is the total picture. Just the most subtle movement of the eyebrows, the eyelids, and the movements of the eyes, can elude to a whole language.
The thing that brings me to this thought is simply the social interaction of the people I am around. I watch them all and see how there eyes denote their mood and what possibly is going on between the ears. When someone smiles, the eyebrows and forehead muscles soften, becoming less angular and tense. The eyes themselves tend to be soft as well. The strange occurence is that they seem to soften in color as well. Transversly, the opposite happens when there is anger on the mind. The eyebrows furrow and the color intensifies. These are simple examples. The complication comes in deciphering the in between emotions.
Establishing eye contact is also a handy tool in the work place. By establishing eye contact when you speak, most people will get the sense that you know what you are talking about and are less likely to second guess you. Very handy in the Army by the way. It also shows that you have confidence and are steadfast. It also comes as courtesy in my mind. If you are going to talk to someone it should go without saying you should make contact, it comes off as rude when people don't direct the eyes to the one they are speaking with. Now obviously in a social setting, when you are telling a story, it makes sense to look around. I hate public speaking, but on occasion I have to do it, such as giving a class. I look around at everyone.
I hope that everyone who reads this has some instictual understanding of some of the basics. Most everyone should know the "sex eyes". The kind of eyes that say wow your hot and I am attracted. Then there is the deep in thought eyes, where the face as a whole is stoic, kind of like a thousand yard stare. Where the eyes refocus on something at a distance and are locked there until someone asks "are you alright" or "anybody in there". I am guilty of that one alot. Most often, that is when I am having an away moment. Either thinking of something that has already happened or just flat out open eyed meditation. I have mastered the ability to seriously seperate my mind from my body. It feels like there is no feeling in my body and my senses are turned off or dulled, in the case of seeing and hearing. I almost feel like I leave my body for a moment or two. Meditation is awesome when you get to that point.
Eyes really are the gateway to the soul. I find that my gateway is an open door and I come and go through it with ease. The big question I have is, what does all the thinking and interpretation of eye contact really mean to me in my life. As someone who doesn't plan out the future except for the major things, why does it matter? That is where I get hung up. I guess I need to ponder that question longer.
Thursday, August 6, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Interesting. It took me a few days to reply because I needed to think and re read without interruptions. The eyes do tell a lot. One of my favorite more recent pictures is the one of you with the kids when you deployed this time. Somehow I pressed the button on the camera at just the right moment, and the emotion in you at that time. I can sometimes study it for several minutes because I find it so interesting. I agree that a lot of people do not even pay attention to what they tell the world with their eyes. Looking into someone's eyes can tell you so much. If you see love there, it can make you happy and you go out into the world and spread happiness. As for eye contact, I agree that it shows confidence to have good eye contact, and that is what every employer and many other people look for in a person. It also suggests that you are an honest person if you make eye contact. Interesting topic. It's late. I think I will stop babbling now.
ReplyDeleteVery interesting! The eyes really are the window to the soul. And I laughed out loud at "sex eyes". We call them "bedroom eyes" at our house. LOL!
ReplyDelete
ReplyDeleteBook Mumbai to Mahabaleshwar Cabs Online at cabs2go Car Rentals. Trust cabs2go for the Best
mumbai to Mahabaleshwar taxi Services.